One of the many wonderful things about our Intensive Treatment Mask is that it can be used many different ways, for many different reasons on ALL hair types! All the way from fine, straight hair to thick, coily hair!
What are the different hair types?
Hair is all different and unique, so it is hard to specify particular hair types as sometimes our tresses don’t fit into just one category, and sometimes they fit into several, but to summarise there are 4 main types: type 1, type 2, type 3 and type 4.
Type 1 hair is straight hair.
Type 2 hair is wavy hair.
Type 3 is curly hair.
Type 4 is coily hair.
Then there are varying degrees within each of these hair types, for example 3a curls are looser curls than 3c.
It is also entirely possible that your hair can have sections that have waves or looser curls and sections where your hair is more tightly curled.
This is all normal and is a part of what makes our hair unique and beautiful!
How should I use my Intensive Treatment Mask on different hair types?
Type 1 hair tends to typically be less dry than any other hair type, and this is purely because the surface area of the strands t are exposed to the air and the elements, preventing the moisture from escaping as easily.
That doesn’t mean that straight hair can’t benefit from a little extra moisture.
A great tip is to pop on a mask when the hair is feeling dry for a deep condition for 10 minutes or so.
For a quick moisture and shine boost, and to beat the frizz, leave the mask on for 3-5 minutes and rinse whenever you feel your hair needs it, the wavier your hair the more often you might feel this is beneficial.
We use a dry oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, that sinks into the hair and is quickly absorbed, leaving your hair soft, light and non-greasy, not weighed down.
Type 3 hair typically has a slightly easier time of absorbing products that type 4 hair, generally speaking, however all hair is unique, and this is just a little guide to get the best out of your mask. Whenever your hair is feeling dry or frizzy, try leaving the mask on for 10-15 minutes or overnight if it is extra dry to get that dose of moisture your hair is needing.
Type 4 hair is generally the driest hair type, it is prone to damage and breakage due to the having less cuticle layers protecting from moisture loss.
Type 4 hair is generally low porosity, meaning that it can struggle to absorb moisture and product.
A great way to get the hair to absorb all that goodness and moisture that comes from the mask is to apply the mask and cover with a hooded steamer, shower cap or towel for 15-20 minutes to let your body heat do the work.
Steaming is a great way to help your hair absorb the moisture easier as it helps to open the hair cuticle, once we are allowed out and about again, pop into a steam room with your hair mask on and let the moisturisation begin.
You can also leave the mask on overnight if your hair is feeling particularly dry!
Extra tips for thick and fine hair
- Take care to section your hair out so you can coat every curl!
- Apply the mask from roots to ends.
- Use alongside the Nourishing Conditioner for extra moisture!
- Apply the mask from mid-lengths to the ends of the hair, avoiding the scalp so you don’t overload the cuticles and weigh down the hair.
- Brush through the hair so make sure the mid-lengths to ends are fully coated.
Extra Intensive Treatment Mask TipsThe mask can be applied to wet, damp or dry hair, and you can leave it on for however long you want to or feel your hair needs.
- Comb, finger comb, or brush (if you have fine hair) to make sure the hair is evenly coated.
- For maximum absorption, pop a shower cap on after you have applied the mask, then wrap a hot towel around the shower cap for about 15 minutes. The heat assists with opening the hair cuticle allowing further penetration of the treatment. Alternatively, you can sit under a hooded dryer or steamer.
- If your hair is dry and damaged you can mix the mask with the conditioner and leave on for 5 minutes or so, every time you condition your hair.
- Leave the mask on overnight, either in a shower cap or a towel and rinse out in the morning. Your hair should be noticeably softer and more moisturised.
So, what are the 5 benefits of treating your hair to our Intensive mask?
1. It is incredibly moisturising!
- If your hair is feeling dry or slightly damaged this is a perfect solution.
- It actually reduces moisture loss, deeply nourishes and also helps moisturise your scalp.
- The long chain fatty acid structure forms a protective barrier to prevent excessive evaporation of moisture, which results in dry, damaged hair and scalp, mean that it is an exceptional hair moisturiser which rejuvenates and adds shine to each strand of hair.
2. It contains Meadowfoam Seed Oil which is an all natural heat protectant.
The composition of this oil makes it highly resistant to heat, perfect to use before using heat based styling products, such as diffusers. It will even protect your hair from the sun, a great holiday edition once we are allowed to start globetrotting again!
3. Our mask contains some powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant substances, including vitamins C and E.
This is ideal if you have sensitive skin and suitable for those with cradle cap, psoriasis or eczema.
4. Just like the rest of our collection, the CurlyEllie Intensive Treatment Mask is free from wheat, dairy, parabens, silicones, SLS/SLES, synthetic fragrances and mineral oils.
5. And best of all, our collection is registered with the Original Vegan Society that represents several vegans in the UK, and its sunflower trademark offers an instantly recognisable quality guarantee that a product is free from animal products, derivatives or animal testing.
Read more about our Mask HERE