Looking after your beautiful, naturally curly hair does not have to be a challenge once you have the right products and techniques in your hair arsenal.
If you realise you need more hold and notice frizz after styling.. you may decide you need to use our gel.
In this post, we will explore using protein gels versus not using protein, to help you make an informed decision for your curly hair care routine and choose between our Natural Hold Gel (Protein Free Gel) and Strong Hold Gel (Protein based gel).
Do you need Protein in your curly haircare routine ?
Protein plays a vital role in maintaining healthy hair growth and structure.
Curly hair, in particular, tends to be prone to dryness, frizz, and breakage due to its natural shape, making it critical to provide the necessary protein support.
Protein gels are formulated with the aim of replenishing and strengthening hair strands, aiming to improve texture, elasticity, and overall hair health.
Benefits of Using Protein Gels:
- Strength and Resilience: Protein gels can help fortify the hair strands, making them more resilient to breakage and damage. This is especially beneficial for those with curly hair, as it tends to be more fragile compared to straight hair.
- Enhanced Curl Definition: Protein gels can provide added structure and definition to natural curls, helping them retain their shape and reducing frizz.
- Increased Moisture Retention: Protein gels often contain humectants that help retain moisture within the hair strands, combating the dryness that is commonly associated with curly hair. By locking in moisture, these gels can help maintain hydration levels and prevent frizz.
OUR PROTEIN BASED GELS
Drawbacks of Using Protein Gels:
- Overuse Can Cause Dryness: While protein gels aim to replenish moisture, excessive or frequent use can lead to protein overload, causing dry, stiff hair. It's essential to find the right balance in your curly hair care routine.
- Not Suitable for All Hair Types: Protein gels may not be suitable for all curly hair types. While some individuals benefit greatly from protein-based products, others may find them too heavy or not providing enough moisture. It's important to consider your hair's needs and experiment to find the right balance.
OUR PROTEIN-FREE GELS
How to get your desired hold using Non-gel based products.
If you choose to avoid protein gels or find them unsuitable for your curly hair, there are some alternative ways to get the hold and shine your curls crave:
- Deep Conditioning: Regular deep conditioning treatments with moisture-rich products like our Intensive Hair Mask can help maintain hydration levels in your hair.
- Oil-Based Sealing: Apply natural oils like our Intense Hair Oil to seal in moisture after washing your hair to minimize frizz and retain moisture.
- Leave-In Conditioners: Using either of our Curl Defining Leave In Conditioner, Intense Leave In Conditioner or Serum alone can give you a level of desired hold without relying on protein.
Finding the right balance in your curly hair care routine is essential for maintaining healthy, vibrant curls.
While protein based gels like our Strong Hold Gel can offer significant benefits by strengthening hair strands and improving curl definition, they may not be suitable for everyone.
It's important to assess your hair's needs, experiment with different approaches, and listen to how your hair responds.
Whether you choose to use protein gels or opt for alternative methods, prioritising moisture and nourishment will help you achieve the beautiful, luscious curls you desire.