Curly Hair Fact : 5 Random Facts That You May Enjoy

1. Curly Hair has been the Go-To Style for many centuries

During much of the late 1800s, did you know that artfully placed curls and ringlets was the ultimate chic look ? especially for the aristocracy.

But for those not naturally curly this was very hard to accomplish, especially for fine straight hair. To try to get the curly look, hot irons etc were used and sometimes with comically disastrous results.

Remember Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women in which Jo ends up burning off her sister Meg’s hair with a hot tongs as she tried to give her beautiful curls?


"Meg wanted a few curls about her face..................

She did take off the papers,

but no cloud of ringlets appeared,

for the hair came with the papers."

Little Women

2. The first modern Britons, who lived about 10,000 years ago had curly hair and we are all descended from them.


Cheddar Man
The Cheddar Man, was unearthed more than a century ago in Gough’s Cave in Somerset. He had blue eyes, a very dark brown to black complexion and dark curly hair.


He lived shortly after the first settlers crossed over from the Europen continent to Britain at the end of the last ice age. Almost all white indigenous British people alive today are descendants of the Cheddar Man.

 3. There is really limited understanding of Curly Hair - How and Why it evolved

There are so many genes contributing to hair curliness, most of them unknown. There has been limited study into this and like so much in genetics, it is not yet fully understood.

However, in 2017, a curly hair gene, the trichohyalin gene was discovered by scientists at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research.


4. Zeus was Curly

Zeus, the God of the Gods of the ancient Greek was a Curly God.

Zeus was Curly

Zeus was the God of the sky, the king over all the other Greek Gods including Poseidon and  Hades, and ruler of justice.

Zeus was Curly - What more can i say ?


5. Wavy and Curly Hair is the most dominant hair type in Europe. 

It is generally understood through research that almost 44 percent of people of European descent have straight hair, with the remaining 56% having curly and wavy hair.

Curly hair is a dominant gene, and two parents with curls are likely to have curly haired child - but this is not always the case if both parents also have straight hair recessive genes - aren't genetics amazing ?

Even in one family, it is possible to have several hair types.

This is even true for the Royal Family. Check out these pictures of the Prince of Wales and his sister.

The Princess Royal

 This means that both the Queen and Prince Philip carry the Curly Haired Gene. Us curlies are in good company.

I have to say that I have a certain bias for Curly Hair. There is something magical about it.

Here is another picture of the Princess Royal in all her Curly Hair Glory. 

Royal Curly Children
And just one more of the Queen so you can see where the Princess Royal got her curls from.
Curly Queen Elizabeth II

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

You may also like

View all