Is your hair looking a little flat, it feels a little weighed down? This can happen from time to time and can be due to a number of reasons.
Perhaps you have not regularly washed and conditioned your hair, leading to some product build up on your hair, making the curls heavier than usual.
Perhaps you live in a hard water area? Hard water can cause a mineral build up on your curls.
Whatever the cause of lifeless curls, we’ve got some tips and tricks to try to bring back the bounce!
- If you suspect product build up, or mineral build up from hard water is the cause then try a double shampoo or even a clarifying shampoo to strip away the excess product of minerals that aren’t naturally supposed to be there. If you do use a clarifying shampoo, make sure to probably condition your curl after with our Nourishing Conditioner or even our Intensive Treatment Mask.
- To give your have that little pop of volume, try flipping your hair upside down and teasing you roots up and away from your scalp with clean product-free fingers before adding any styling products.
- Whilst your hair is upside down, apply to styling products by raking the product through the hair, away from the scalp.
- After applying the styling products, scrunch the hair up towards the scalp using a Microfibre Towel to remove excess water that might weigh your hair down. If you want an extra boost try diffusing the hair on a low heat setting, once again upside down.
- Try a Low-poo method over a co-washing method. The low-poo method is just reducing the frequency and amount you shampoo. You can do this method with the CurlyEllie Gentle Shampoo, use it sparingly and give your scalp a nice massage with your fingers or a shower brush to make sure your scalp is properly cleansed.
- Use lightweight products, such as the Detangling Spray or Styling Serum, so curls aren’t as heavy or even try using a little less Leave-In Conditioner if your curls are feeling weighed down. Start with a pea-sized amount and add more only if you need to. You might even want to try the CurlyEllie Intense Leave-In Conditioner and Styling Cream.
- Less conditioner is sometimes more. Your curls could even be feeling a little weighed down because of too much moisture!
- Another great tip is to try damp styling rather than wet styling if the Microfibre Scrunching Method doesn’t help!
Go forth and bounce your way into summer!