Ingredients Ellie Loves: Aloe Leaf Juice
CurlyEllie loves Aloe Barbadensis, and we use this key ingredient in our Shampoo, Detangling Spray and Leave-in Conditioner.
Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice is also known as the ‘miracle plant’. Aloe Vera is useful for all hair types, especially for dry and damaged hair. Regular use of Aloe Vera in your hair has been shown to repair dead skin cells on the scalp, promote hair growth, prevent itching on the scalp, reduces dandruff and scalp conditions, acts as a great conditioner and leaves your curly hair smooth and shiny.
What is Aloe Vera: The word ‘vera’ means true or genuine. It is a plant species that has thick, fleshy stems with spiny leaves. The fleshy stem contains the aloe juice. Aloe Vera was considered the plant of “immortality” by the Egyptians. Aloe Vera has been used since time immemorial for its soothing and curing properties.
Aloe Vera's Key Benefits:
- Promotes Hair Growth. Aloe Vera has both emollient and moisturising properties, meaning that it smoothes the cuticle surface and also attracts and seals in moisture. Aloe Vera imparts detangling and conditioning by forming a polymer film on the surface of the hair, thereby smoothing the cuticle. This film also provides hold and curl retention . The pectin and sugar molecules delivers moisture to the hair, and the amino acids and trace amounts of protein present strengthen the cortex of damaged hair.
- Aloe Vera is rich in proteolitic enzymes which help to remove the dead skin which clogs the pores of the scalp, which hinders the growth of new hair follicles. Accumulation of excessive sebum on the scalp can lead to hair problems like partial baldness. So the Aloe removes the sebum, making the scalp squeaky clean and promoting hair growth.
- Maintains the pH balance: Aloe Vera has alkaline properties which help to maintain the pH level of the scalp and hair. This keeps the hair moisturised and promotes hair growth.
- Reduces flaky scalp: Aloe Vera has been widely used for curing flaky scalp since the ancient times.
- Conditions the hair: Aloe deeply hydrates the hair shaft, giving you soft and smooth hair.