Looking after your curls the CurlyEllie Way
You have received your CurlyEllie Mini Works or Full Works and want to know where to start or what order to use your goodies.
There is a general way to use it but everyone has their own set routine after experimenting with our collection. We try to share as many routines as possible on our Instagram Page.
In this post, I will share a basic routine you should try first and then do less or more of each step before changing and experimenting.
Each product was designed to work together and you get the best results when you use the full collection.
Step 1 : Washing and Conditioning
Washing and Conditioning should be the very first step in any hair care routine and should not be taken for granted. This is where you should detangle your hair.
Shampooing your curls
- Wet hair and massage a small amount into your hands and apply to your wet curly hair.
Use your fingers to finger comb along the length of the hair. This gently detangles your hair. Finger detangle as much as possible.
Leave the main detangling to after the Nourishing Conditioner is applied Rinse and re-apply if necessary.
Conditioning Your Curls
You can sometimes skip the Shampooing and dive straight into the conditioning. This is especially useful if your hair is already clean and does not need to be cleansed.
This is also the time to really detangle your hair when it is damp with the Nourishing Conditioner.
- Massage about 2 handfuls of Nourishing Conditioner unto wet or damp curly hair.
- Finger comb it through the length so all the hair is coated.
- Leave on hair for 5 to 10 minutes. For damaged, coloured or very dry hair that need a bit more care, substitute this with the Intensive Mask. Leave for 30 minutes for deep treatment or overnight for extra dry/damaged hair.
- Rinse out - Once it’s all detangled, rinse upside down to encourage volume at the roots. Gently towel dry your hair and blot (don't rub) your hair with the towel. Rubbing wet hair with a towel causes damage that leads to frizzy hair.
- Afterwards, gently comb with a wide tooth comb or fingers to detangle. If really knotted, you could use a Brush but take care not to tug at the knots.
Step 2 : Styling
I believe that how you have your hair is personal and there is no right or wrong style. The trick is to Resist constant styling and manipulating your hair.. Combing, brushing, tight ponytails and frequent manipulation can lead to breakage.
There are many different options to explore here and you can see many on our Instagram page @curlyellie. I will share Ellies routine below but and also post a few more options.
We always apply some Leave-In conditioner after washing and detangling.
- Firstly, spray the detangling spray generously through the hair from root to tip. Remember, the thicker the curls, the more spray will be needed. You need enough to get your curls back to their own natural shape and definition. If your hair is thin, dilute to make it less concentrated.
- Next, use your fingers to brush through the hair to separate and define curls. Option : you can use a hair brush to get any tangles out of the hair but the fingers or a with tooth comb work best for me.
- Finally, lock in the moisture and curls with the Curly Ellie Curl Defining Leave-In Conditioner. Squirt a small amount into your hands and rub them together, before brushing through the hair again with your fingers. Allow your hair to dry naturally, and look forward to fresh and healthy looking curls!
- I love to add a bit of the Styling Serum at the end to just give it a little bit more shine and extra ommph to keep the frizz at Bay.
Thick Curls : Try the routine above and dont feel scared to apply too much - thick hair can take all that is thrown at it. Just leave to dry naturally.
- Try using the leave in on wet hair (but not too much. a 5p amount can usually do the trick)
- Spray with the detangling spray and add a bit of the serum, skipping the Leave In conditioner.
Most importantly, experiment with different routines and listen to your hair. If your hair feels dry, use the detangling spray. If your hair feels coarse, use the Curl Defining Leave-In Conditioner. If your hair is dull and lacks lustre, wash and deep condition your curly hair.
Step 3 : Deep ConditionDeep Condition your hair once a week at the minimum. This will help strengthen and soften your new growth and also prevent breakage.
After a few weeks of deep conditioning you should expect to see very noticeable improvements in your hair texture, shape and look.
- How often do I use the Intensive Hair Mask ?
- How long do I leave the Intensive Hair Mask on my hair ?
- Can I use the Intensive Hair Mask on straight hair ?
- Do I apply the Intensive Mask before, after or with the Nourishing Conditioner .. and many more questions ?
Also in Tips and Hair Inspiration
The Sun is up and you want to bring your curls out to play.
The only problem is that you have run out of simple but effective hairstyles.
Look no further ..
The best bit is that is can be used by both Adults and Children,