More and more, I get lots of emails asking me about the best way to detangle your childs curly hair. It seems for many of us, getting rid of knots is still a nightmare at the best of times. Bribes, treats and distractions has been what we are all trying.
Is there a better way? Can it really be FUN... The answer is YES and YES again.
I struggled with this for a long time before I started CurlyEllie and it is time to share my tips on how best to detangle and introduce the F.U.N into hair time again.
Borrowing from a popular musical and the worlds favourite Mary Poppins " with every job that must be done, there has to be an element of FUN".
The key to getting rid of the dreaded knots and tangles is both the right tools and right technique.
- A wide-toothed comb with rounded tips or a detangling brush or my favorite = My fingers
- Hair clips to section strands
- CurlyEllie Detangle and CurlyEllie Curl Defining Leave-In Conditioner
- The BRIBE : We tend to just sit in front of the dressing table mirror and talk about her day ("our time"). If this does not work for you, toy or book to distract is just as good.
So... what is the F.U.N
• F= Tell your child that this will be fun. Make sure she is calm, happy and ready for hair-adventure.
• U= Use your tools
a. Start by parting the hair (dry or wet) into sections. Create a vertical part and then a horizontal part and clip the upper section of hair onto the top of the head to keep it out of the way.
b. Spray: Spray the lower (unclipped) section with a Detangler + Leave-In Conditioner.
c. Separate a chunk of hair (1 or 2 inches) and hold it firmly near the hair ends. The key is to start combing near the end of the hair, not at the root. Start at at the ends and work your way, little by little, to the root. Always hold the hair just above the snag you’re working on to prevent tugging at the scalp
.STEP 2: Once you’ve finished the entire bottom section, unclip the rest of the hair and work the top section the same way until you’ve detangled around the whole head.
• N= Now your have tangle free happy hair!